Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Common traits of a returnee

I recently read this book called "The People's Republic of Desire", by Annie Wang. It was an enjoyable read with deep insights and entertaining memories. The first chapter "A fake foreign devil' caught my eye in particular: it describes the traits of a female "returnee", that is, someone who is chinese who returns back to their homeland to live. I found it resonated strongly with me.

Common traits of a returnee (as observed by Annie Wang).
1. They don't wear miniskirts of makeup like so many local girls do. They often don't look very fashionable and seem to care litle about such frippery (I have tried to avoid the frills, the sequins, the fake diamontes, etc)
2. They usually have obtained some sort of degree in the West (she's an American- Chinese so she mentions Yale and Harvard)
3. They are timid pedestrians. It takes them forever to cross an average Chinese road (I'm working on that!)
4. They don't smoke. In fact, they get dizzy around smokers (never again am I going karaoke with people who smoke. I really couldn't stand the limited circulation).
5. They don't like people to ask where they come from, especially someone who has just met them. If they are prodded of an answer, they to to pause for several seconds as if facedith a multiple-choice question. (So me! Even in Australia I get stumped at this question. I think I rotate with answers).

While I don't consider China my homeland, I am linked to it in a way which I don't quite understand. China claims me- my heritage, my face, my culture, my mindset, my ideals. It doesn't matter that I was not born in China, and that if I was to claim another country besides Australia to be my heritage major, it would be Malaysia. To be chinese is something that supercedes time. Because I look Chinese, I am who I am.

PS The next post will be full of fun and frippery!

1 comment:

rowan said...

hola tanny!

loved the post. it's always good to hear someone else's experience on ICS. hope you used this in you Culture Report!

chauuu!